Wednesday, December 28, 2011

*stepping onto the soapbox*

Today was a very important day for mothers and children everywhere. Today, well-meaning ladies everywhere took part in taking a stand for their rights and the rights of their children. You see, at the beginning of the month at a Target store in Texas, a mother that was feeding her child was asked to move from her seat and segregate to another area of the store. This mother refused and had the police called on her. Why? Because she refused to move while feeding her hungry child. Makes no sense, right? After all, why shouldn't someone be allowed to feed their crying child?

Well, this mother was *shh* (breastfeeding) her baby. And the Target employee in question felt that this was a violation of the rights of the other customers NOT to see nudity. Ok, I understand that. But its not like the mother looked like this:


Yes, that is me nursing PorkChop for the first time. In the comfort of our own home, in our room, completely nude (it was July, the hottest day of the year, and we didn't have central air... so sue me). Him and I both dressed in our birthday/birthing suits and yet, not a single flash of nipple is being shown. But that's ok because its in the privacy of OUR home, right?

Well, how about this then?


This was taken IN PUBLIC at the Highland Fling, August of 2010. Can you see any of the offending breast? We were right in front of a group of kilt-clad bagpipers who were practicing for their turn in the competition. Not a single word was said to us because other than the fact that its very obvious what is going on, nothing can be seen. Other than the fantastically cute diaper cover showing that we have pride in nursing in public (just as I have pride in nursing at home, in a school, store, or anywhere else that I may happen to be when my baby gets hungry).

So maybe that's not the best example then since you can't see anything. But what about at the beach where women wear far less than in a public forum. What then?

No cover and STILL showing less skin than most bathing suits out there. True, the beach wasn't very crowded that day seeing as how this picture was taken right before a good-sized squall hit Myrtle Beach but again, not a single complaint or eye drawn to the fact that my toddler was eating. I could show other pictures from this day of women walking around in less than a nursing bra covers. I could show pictures of women with so much cleavage showing that you could possibly fit SweetPea inside. But the point of this is not to show the most amount of skin possible but to show how natural feeding your baby is.

I wish that I had the forethought to take pictures of my children eating breakfast, lunch and dinner on our road trips. Food stops at restaurants, meals in the hotels, snacks in the car, breaks at our destinations....

And sometimes, I do. I do remember that those fleeting moments are precious to both mother and child, that they are a natural part of the ebb and flow of each and every day. Our state is not known for being very pro-breastfeeding and yet, I managed to sit quietly and feed my toddler on the steps to the capital building without turning a single head. It wasn't a slow day but a busy one with crowds of people lined up to watch a freedom parade. But the steps were the most secluded, quiet area and there wasn't a better way of celebrating my freedom than by exercising my right to nourish my child when they are hungry.

I don't take my food into a dirty bathroom stall. I don't hide under a blanket to eat during the summer months. But I also don't expose myself to the world at large. I am a mother who breastfeeds discreetly where ever I happen to be. I take notice of those around me and try to make sure to keep both myself, my child and those around me comfortable. But I will not sit quiet while my right to feed my child is under attack. I will not allow someone to tell me that I do not have the right to comfort my hungry child just because I do not follow the "norm" in our country. I believe that breastfeeding is natural, beautiful and normal. I will not walk around with my breasts hanging out for all to see but I will continue to join the fight for my child's right to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment