Friday, December 30, 2011

"Kindle"ing the passion to read

We are a pretty literary family. All of us, from hubby and myself, right down to SweetPea and PorkChop, all enjoy reading or being read to. This year for Christmas, we started the tradition of giving the littles a new book every Friday to read together from. This coming year, we will be delving into our list of "100 must read books before Kindergarten" as a way of starting our new homeschooling journey. As presents, each child received a new book this year, both older boys got some form electronic readers and hubby and I both received Kindle Fires.

Since I was given my Christmas present the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I have forged ahead with reading the classics. I started with "A Christmas Carol" and quickly realized just how much I enjoy the older styles, the novels filled with morals, the feeling of peace that I get from reading works that have been deemed "out-dated" and yet "timeless" in the same breath.

Today, I started my sixth novel since Thanksgiving. I think that this is the most that I have read in years. I am used to re-reading books over and over again for the enjoyment factor but am not used to reading books based on how they make me feel. Reading the classics is bringing an odd sense of peace to my life, a centering and balancing feeling. I still adore my modern books, don't get me wrong. And I am sure that I will tire of reading the greater works eventually. But I think that one of my goals for 2012 will be reading a new classic every month. Which, at the rate that I have been reading, will not be a hard goal to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment