Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas countdown day 3- gingerbread mayhem

Mmmm... cookies. Not much else says holidays to me than spending way more time than normal in the kitchen whipping up batches of deliciousness. I love holiday baking, even holiday post baking cleaning is a joy. Why? Because of the closeness, the exploration, the pure wonder when you can throw seemingly random ingredients into a bowl and come out with a delightful treat at the end.

Today? Today SweetPea and I made some "kid-friendly" butterscotch gingerbread cookies. I found the recipe and decided that it was going to be our "new" attempt at a timeless classic. I wasn't sure how SweetPea would do with a real gingerbread cookie and these just seemed so.... fun.

I especially liked that these ones were dubbed kid-friendly because it meant that it was much easier for her to use our cookie cutters to create the perfect Christmas cookies. Even better? She found that we had dinosaur cookie cutters mixed in there. So, of course, we had to make sure to make some T-Rexes and stegasauruses to go along with our gingerbread boys and girls, snowmen, bells and Christmas trees.

I wish that I could say that this was a total family affair since it was one of our weekend projects but hubby and Pickle both decided that baking was not for them this time and headed out to get the wood to build our new firewood "steps". At least they spent the time together and enjoyed our cookies after.

No comments:

Post a Comment