Thursday, January 12, 2012

week one in review

I was going to review our week on Friday but I am thinking now that four days might be plenty for a not quite three year old. I don't want to burn SweetPea out and I don't want to burn myself out either. We can still "do" things on Fridays but I think that those are going to be our "fun" days instead of another structured day. Who knows though? I could change my mind next week, next month, whenever.

This week, we worked on the letter A. I taught SweetPea a cute song that I remembered doing with Punk teaching the different sounds of the letters. Along with Yankee Doodle, we have both been walking around singing it all week long. She still doesn't recognize the A if she finds it in a random word, but she does walk by her A print out a few times a day and reassures herself that she can still see her "ah" on the wall.

For math, we dabbled at sequencing, the number 1 and counting out 1 of things, and shapes. For science, we have been talking about the seasons and weather. That will be on-going regardless of what else we may be playing with that week. I want SweetPea to understand that on rainy days, we plan indoor activities. On warm, sunny days, she can prepare to have plenty of outside time. My hopes is that by teaching her now about the weather that she will stop the fighting about WHY she can't do this or that and learn to plan accordingly.

I printed out a sheet with 100 books to read to your kindergartener and started working from that list. My goal is to read two of those books each week for this entire year. Then repeat next year and the year after. This week, we read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?". Sure, neither have anything to do with apples, the letter A or the number 1 but we enjoy those stories immensely and it was a good "jumping off" point.

No comments:

Post a Comment