Saturday, February 9, 2013

a week in review.... M

I really didn't think that this week was going to happen. Being sick for the majority of the week, I just didn't have the stamina to plan out an awesome week like I normally would. But knowing that I plan on having a "break" week next week so we can focus on Valentine's day and knowing that the week after that would be our mid-winter break (since the bigs are off school that week), I knew that I needed to plow ahead this time. Which meant a week filled with tears and frustration... and even some on SweetPea's part too. But we made it. And I don't think that either of us are too scarred because of it.

M is for mountain
 This week, we focused on the letter M. Our crafts were making mountains and a mouse. I wanted to do a monkey hand print set so we could do a felt board version of "Five Little Monkeys Swinging in the Trees" but I will have to save that for another time. I just didn't have the energy to fight with PorkChop to get his two prints done and SweetPea was, honestly, happy to be cutting our workload short.... even if it meant less craft time.

learning measurements
 For math this week, we worked on measurements. Not just measuring how many inches items were, but working on conceptual measurements like narrow vs wide.... heavier vs lighter.... tall vs short. I am pleasantly surprised to see SweetPea really take off with these. I know that numbers are not her favorite thing and I am sure that I am partly to blame for that. So to see her enjoying a math week was a nice change.

 
making Mounds
 The letter M is a fun letter to create yummy food around. On Sunday, we made chocolate cupcakes with homemade marshmallow frosting. On Tuesday, we made Mound truffles... to which SweetPea decided that she is beyond done liking coconut. On Friday, we made muffins... to which she replied that she is done eating those as well. *sigh* At least she still likes cake.

marshmallow sensory
 Our sensory pans this week were marshmallow filled... Which meant that PorkChop ate more than his fair share of his work. SweetPea wasn't too enthused with this one either but I am guessing that that was my illness rubbing off on her. Everything that she normally loved doing, this past week, she just totally dragged her feet. I am thinking that when we do the letter N that I will change her sensory pan up a bit. Maybe make it more themed instead of just practice on filling and dumping and piling.

all about the M
 Our nursery rhyme this week was "Do you know the muffin man?' I thought that it was beyond adorable that SweetPea tells you that the muffin man lives on "Journey" Lane. We had fun taking turns being the muffin man and sharing our baked goods with everyone. It turned out to be a great blessing that snow day was also our nursery rhyme day because it meant more people to share our wares with.
Who says homeschooling has to take place at home?

I wanted to do a movie day with Madagascar but the ps3 and I are still at odds. Instead, I made tents in the living room and we camped out and watched some cartoons together. Wasn't quite the same effect as my vision of playing movie theatre, complete with popcorn and water bottles, cardboard box cars and a dimmed room, but it was still fun. Every once in a while, getting to veg out as part of your lessons is a good thing.

m is for mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment