Friday, February 1, 2013

a week in review... letter L

This has definitely been one of those trying weeks where I am really glad that we homeschool the littles. Not that they themselves were trying but trying to keep everything together under pressure hasn't been the easiest. Thankfully, this was one of those weeks where SweetPea just excelled in everything that we did. I am not sure if she just picked up on how much I needed an "easy" week or if we just fell into that rare, perfect rhythm again but it was a very blessed thing.

Because of our rather busy week, there were a few things that I didn't get to do that I wanted to. We didn't get time to make Mary's Little Lamb or to do a caterpillar finger paint (on a leaf, of course). But we did get to bake and I really thought that that wasn't going to happen. So I will just save those projects for another day and instead, smile at everything that her and I accomplished together.

For the letter L, we talked about things that we love. Like mama, and her Homie, best friend A, riding her bike, playing outside, cuddling with her daddy, wanting to marry Pickle, eating grilled cheese.... and we made sure to make a good portion of those things happen this week.
L is for Love
 I learned this week that while SweetPea professes to have a love of lemon, she really doesn't like the flavor. We made homemade lemonade cupcakes on Sunday and while she claimed to like the cake, she said the frosting wasn't her favorite. Unfortunately, lemon sugar cookies weren't a hit either and neither was the lemon pepper chicken that she helped me prepare for dinner. I wanted to try my hand at some coconut lime cookies but with Porker and his fever, it just didn't happen this time.

mmmm..... lemon cookies
 Instead, SweetPea got to snack on some lollipops so she could do her second art project of the week. Lollis are definitely high on her approval list so this was a fair trade off. In return, PorkChop and I got to eat all the lemon cookies that our stomachs could handle.

l is for lollipops

 For math this week, SweetPea and I worked on patterns (review) and measuring (new skill). I was SO very impressed when SweetPea could correctly identify the number 4 without help on Wednesday night. That was a first! She always stumbles on the 4 but not this time. We were so excited that we leaped for joy! She also began identifying F and H without fail. We now just need to strengthen her skills on I and J (she confuses I and Y, both being in her name and forgets J's name but knows the sound). Its those little break-throughs on tough days that really put a smile in your heart.

math isn't so bad when you can measure
 For sensory play this week, we actually had two things that they could choose from.... I made some scented play-dough on Sunday for the both of them, thinking it would keep PorkChop quiet during lessons. Little did I know that a fever would do that or that it would take him all week to warm up to the idea of the scented dough that he could mold. We also had a "bean box" filled with lima beans. SweetPea enjoyed filling and dumping for about ten minutes and then scurried back to the dough. PorkChop, on the other hand, spent a good deal of Friday dumping beans everywhere and then using the broom to sweep them back into another pile.

sensory box.... lima beans
Our nursery rhyme for the week was Mary Had a Little Lamb. I had a really cute craft all picked out (making a lamb from cotton balls) but it never happened. I think that I am going to save that one for March now so we can do "In like a Lion, Out like a Lamb". I wouldn't say that this was one of the better  rhymes that SweetPea has learned since, to be frank, she confuses parts of this one with Mary, Mary Quite Contrary. But its still one that now that she is more familiar with it, I can see us singing it a bit more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment