Tuesday, March 19, 2013

cold weather boredom buster

Ok, now, seriously.... the ground hog didn't see his shadow so we should be warming up any time now... right? My poor two littles are beginning to go a bit crazy from our wacky weather and being cooped up indoors after a few beautiful days out. Thankfully, with our vacation looming just ahead in the distance, I see plenty of time for perfect weather and outdoor fun. Too bad that they have almost zero concept of time.

serious business
To pass the time today, I threw out a bunch of ideas. Painting was struck down (Pork still isn't a fan of finger paints and I cannot find our paintbrushes anywhere).... Baking was a no go (SweetPea said that she is sick of always being in the kitchen).... Reading was done and then forgotten about as the books became make-shift frisbees.... So as a last resort, I grabbed a container of the play dough that I made before SweetPea's birthday and asked if this was a good idea.

And the clouds parted and the angels sang!

Ok, so maybe that only happened in my head. But it did work to keep them both occupied long enough for me to clean up the terrible mess that they had been making all morning long with everything that they shouldn't have been touching.

I was really shocked to see that my homemade dough had actually withstood the test of time and was still just as soft, just as pliable and just as sweet-smelling as when I made it. And best of all, it definitely was still as charming to the littles.

Today, SweetPea worked on making dragons (huge obsession around here lately) and Pork just made little balls with lots of growling noises and a few grunts thrown in for good measure. We had elaborate stories about the dragons and snakes and eggs and babies and nests.... We had some good hard punches to the balls and squeals when they would flatten down to thin pancake shape. We talked about caring for babies (baby dragons need their mamas, don't you know) and we talked about how certain little boys needed to learn how to treat babies softly.

No comments:

Post a Comment