Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life"

I think that this song will forever bring tears to my eyes. I know, its silly and sappy but I will forever think of that song as the one playing when my first man graduated from elementary into the realm of junior high school.


Words fall short to me right now. I can't seem to find what I want to put down. I am so proud that I am literally spilling over. Punk made it! He completed sixth grade! Not that I had any doubts... he is a smart guy even if he chooses not to apply himself in school. He is just not an intellect. But he has an amazing joie de vive and is always trying to make others happy. Sometimes by being the clown, other times by being the sole person to defend another. This year, he has struggled with learning how to stand up on his own two feet but I know that by allowing him to stumble, I am also teaching him that I will be there when he falls, how to take risks without going blindly into a situation and hopefully, that even when you fall short of your own goals, that that doesn't make you less of a person but teaches you how to persevere. 

Elementary school is now behind him. Junior high looms scary in the future but only because its an unknown. Lockers and combinations, different teachers with different ways of doing the same thing, new students and friends and more opportunities than elementary provided... that's what awaits him in the fall. For now, its a summer free from school books, teacher's demands and "the daily grind". Its two and a half months of freedom, of maturing, of learning responsibility and proving yourself trustworthy.

I think that Punk is ready for this new challenge and I am excited for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment