Friday, January 4, 2013

Winter Wonderland

I made the decision today that regardless of temperatures, as long as there is no one "sick" in the house, that we need to make it a priority to be outside. Even if its just for ten minutes a day, we need that outlet. PorkChop especially thrives when he is allowed to run wild outside. SweetPea, who has turned more and more into a couch potato (something that I personally cannot stand) really needs the excuse to not just unplug during the day. And yes, I realize that I am a contributing factor since if I didn't turn the television on during the day, she wouldn't watch it. And as a rule, I don't. From me, she might get twenty minutes a day.... might. But with having Squawk here, illness going around, cold temperatures keeping us inside, the television has run more than I would like it to have of late. Which brought me to today...
Enjoying our snow totals.
Knowing now that PorkChop isn't sick and seeing all that beautiful white snow outside just begging for some trampling, I bundled up the littles this morning so we could get outside and enjoy it. All my our wonderful plans for the weekend had to be changed and it honestly put me in a downright nasty mood. I know that in the warmer months, nothing helps right my attitude quicker than some outdoor time. Today, in our colder months, it shouldn't be any different.

Now true.... it took me about a half hour to coordinate everyone, get us all bundled and out the door. And it took us only 45 minutes of being outside to be thoroughly frozen. But those were 45 good minutes. That was time with no cell phones, no computers, no television, no video games or flashing lights. It was almost an hour of running, jumping, trudging and crawling through the snow. It was almost an hour of throwing handfuls of snow in the air (since its not packing snow by a long shot), of attempting to make snowmen, of hiding behind trees and trying to scale the fence. Rosy cheeks, cold noses, tingling fingers.... it was time well spent with just me and the littles with no outside distractions. And it was heavenly!

Coming inside for hot chocolate with marshmallows, stripping down and cuddling under blankets, teasing each other with frozen feet and icy hands.... It all made today special. It might not have been "doing" something but it was still definitely something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment