Thursday, January 17, 2013

a little light reading

I love to read. Other than photography and crafting, I think that its my biggest hobby. I have other ones...  I love biking and walking during the warmer months. I adore swimming when I get the chance. Taking the kids to the park, the zoo, the beach.... I think that I might enjoy it as much as they do. But reading, its something that I HAVE to do every day. The same as I cannot imagine not picking up my camera for an entire day, I feel the same way about not having a book close at hand.

We might only be halfway through the first month of the year but I am already on my third book. I finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King last weekend while simultaneously beginning Pet Sematary for probably the fourth or fifth time. While finishing Pet Sematary, I began Into the Wilderness on the Kindle.
my reads for the year.... so far
I have noticed that since becoming a mother, my taste in reading has changed. While Stephen King used to be my favorite author, I just cannot get into his newer books. I blamed it on the accident that he was in, since I am not the only person to notice a great change in his writing style since then. But even books that I enjoyed when I was younger, I have a hard time reading now and finding the same enjoyment. The only exception that I have found so far has been It... which is still my favorite book of all time.

Now, though, I find myself reading historical pieces more and more. And especially historical pieces with a bit of romance thrown in. I do not believe for one minute that my childhood was so horrible that I "identified" with the horror novels more or that I live in a fairy tale fantasy world now so I crave romance more. I think that, where I found enjoyment in the horror books when  was younger, now I find them uncomfortable.

 I didn't see Pet Sematary as being a "scary" book as an adult. Instead, I found it sad and depressing. And what made it all the harder was PorkChop being so close in age to Gage... not to mention that Gage was on our list for him but was taken off because it felt too much like we were tempting fate. 11-22-63 should have been more my "now" style but the book just seemed to drag for me. Like it was being written to make a buck more than because you feel passionately about getting the story out.

Two books are coming out this year (or are slated to at least) that I am looking forward to, immensely. The newest book in the Outlander series (In My Heart's Own Blood.... MOBY to fans) and the newest book in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Vastly different writing styles, greatly varying in subject and content but I am eargerly awaiting both. I have a feeling that I will find crafting falling to the wayside when those arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment