Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mr Unique

PorkChop never seems to do anything "by the book". He was born after the most crazy, messed-up labor that I have ever heard of (and wouldn't have believed if I hadn't been through it myself). We spent his whole first year with crazy high fevers every two months that came with no other symptoms of illness (we just referred to them as molting periods). So why did I expect his newest "illness" to be any different?

Our poor little dragon face
It all started the Thursday after Christmas when I took SweetPea and PorkChop out to play in our first snow fall of the season. Over six inches of the white, fluffy stuff just begging to be played in/with. So I obliged. Little did I know that thirty minutes of playtime outside would result in SweetPea coming down with a cold, myself being knocked flat out for a day with something and poor PorkChop developing a nasty, junky sounding cough.

Like I said, mine lasted for a day. I did nothing but sleep, fret and cough. I ran a fever, couldn't stomach the thought of eating or drinking anything and was just perfectly miserable. SweetPea is still fighting the lethargy that seems to have catergorized her illness. She has a slight cough, has been running a fever off and on but checked out fine at the doctor's today (other than the guess that she just has a cold). PorkChop though....

Every night, his oxygen levels have been dropping. His poor little lips, chin and upper lip take on a dusky hue that get worse every time that he coughs. His appetite has dropped (we think because of how much his poor little nose is pouring) and his cough has gone between sounding junky and sounding barky. He has earned himself the nickname Boogers because of the amazing amount of snot pouring out of him. But I digress.... We took him to the pediatrician today to make sure that he was ok. And of course he is!

At 17 months, he is weighing in at 25.5lbs. So he has gained since his birthday in July. Ears, eyes, throat and chest all look/sound clear. But based on the cough, his coloring during those jags and the way that his throat dips down when he coughs/cries, she decided that the best course of action was to prescribe a nebulizer for right now. Twice a day unless needed more often, PorkChop has to sit still and receive Albuterol through the neb. Do we know officially what's going on? Nope. Doesn't seem to be a cold, but it could be. Could be allergies. Could be asthma. Could be just Porker being Porker. I am guessing that this kid is always going to keep me on my toes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment