Tuesday, January 8, 2013

slow return to normal

Between Christmas break, illnesses and sheer laziness, we are finally starting to fall back into our normal routine. Not quite there yet, since daddy was here with us again today (migraine... yuck! We need to catch a break around here) and so was Peanut, but other things are falling back into our normal. Home schooling is back on, dinner menu plans are being posted again, school is back in session for the bigs, dance started again for SweetPea.... Just a normalizing of our days that I think that we needed.

Our family is busy. Constantly busy, it sometimes seems. But that's ok... its our family's routine and we are used to it. Its our life. And on the whole, we tend to really enjoy it. Sure, there are days when we just need to be lazy and kick back. We try to balance our busy days with breaks and time off. Like this morning when Peanut was still hurting too much for school. Instead of staying awake (like I knew that I should have) and showering, I got to snuggle back into bed with PorkChop. It was only for another hour but it was nice getting those extra cuddles for no reason.
Enjoying our packing snow... finally!!
Because we got a late start this morning, lunch was late. Thankfully, that meant that we got to spend 40 minutes outside.... which was double the amount that I had planned. A late lunch meant late naps, which is leading to late bedtimes tonight. Tomorrow, our first day of everyone being back to their respective jobs/schooling, I have a feeling that we will be dealing with some major crabbiness. But its cool, I can handle it. I feel like I can handle most anything today.

I really think that I feel that way because our normalizing of our routines also means that I get to catch two hours to myself on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Those are my guilty pleasure television nights, even if I don't sit and watch television. Its my chance to work on projects uninterrupted, surf the net and research without someone closing my windows, a small amount of time to decompress and breath. Some days, I feel that it would be better if I took my "me time" out and did something without the family. But I honestly like knowing that I am right here if someone needs me. I like being available when PorkChop calls for "bub". And I like the fact that once he is tired enough to go to sleep, that I get to feel his warm weight snuggled close. But I also enjoy not having to deal with each small crisis for a bit.

Tonight, I am doing a bit of everything and nothing at the same time. Which is good. Because tomorrow, life totally goes back to normal and I need to be ready to tackle the world. And I will be. Because today, life started going back to normal for us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment