Sunday, January 6, 2013

Over the river and through the woods


Ok, so it wasn't to grandmother's house we went but to the sledding hills. But at times, it definitely felt that we were going to go over a lake river and I would say that a good number of people crashed through the woods. Thankfully, no one in our family, although Pickle did make a very daring crash into the tire barriers at one point. But I digress....

Hubby knew that I was a bit bummed about our plans for the weekend needing to be changed and asked me what I would like to do instead. Had I thought things through, our original plans could have held since this (initially) cost more. And I guess that I could have been selfish and chosen to do what we have been trying to do since Christmas. But in the end, I went with something that would benefit the entire family, not just me. So a-sledding we went.

Four racing down the hill.
Pickle hadn't been in years now (easily five or six) and SweetPea, the last time we took her (which was two years ago), wasn't old enough to go on her own. PorkChop was too little last year to go, so of course, this was his first time. I felt bad not having Punk and Peanut with us but c'est la vie. There is always next time.

The weather ended up being perfect, in my not so humble opinion. The day called for marginally warmer temperatures than Saturday and flurries. Instead, the day felt much warmer (which could have just been all the layers everyone had on) and it SNOWED! Sure, hubby said that they were just flurries but when it was enough to leave a light blanket of snow over everything, to me, that's a bit more than just flurries.

We ended up hitting two different hills and four different runs. SweetPea, after a few runs on daddy's lap and one on Pickle's, decided that she could go on her own! It was a little nerve wracking watching her stop in the middle of a hill and attempt to walk back up but by the end of the day, she got the hang of crossing to the side and walking up the pathway. PorkChop had an amazing time if his giggles were any indication. Even when getting some major air with daddy, he was laughing and squealing and pulling the ropes to go faster.

Getting the chance to spend the day outdoors doing something that was fun for everyone definitely was a spirit booster. Especially since hubby looked into other local sledding hills and found some that make their own snow, provided the weather is cool enough to hold. Looking at our forecasted weather for the rest of the month, I can definitely see another sledding day in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment