Wednesday, November 30, 2011

first taste of winter


When you are two, snow is exciting. Even the mention of snow can have you running for your boots and mittens, intent on getting a chance to get down and dirty with the fluffy white flakes falling from the sky. It doesn't matter if its a sprinkling or a good drop, snow is snow. And as long its white, its alright.

SweetPea was more than her fair share of excited this morning to wake up to see our ground dusted for the first time this season with snow. In fact, she was excited enough for me and her both. But mama relented and agreed that she even though she has a slight cold, that a few minutes of outdoor time wouldn't be such a bad idea. And I am glad that I did now since our "snow" pretty much vanished once the sun fully came out, minus a patch by my bedroom window where the rays do not hit from autumn until summer.

SweetPea helped me get her boots on, donned a pair of my fingerless gloves since her mittens seem to be on vacation somewhere warmer, grabbed her hat and proceeded to bowl the dogs down racing for the back door. I got PorkChop into a hat and sweater, tied him into his pack and reluctantly grabbed my winter outer wear.



PorkChop's first snow was what cemented me taking the littles outside before 1o in the morning for what was supposed to be "just a few minutes". SweetPea raced all through the yard, dancing and jumping, twirling and shrieking. PorkChop just plain shrieked... and cried... and tried to bury his poor sweet face inside my jacket. I thought that he was just done being packed so I took him back inside, grabbed a heavier blanket and let him free.

I found out quickly where as SweetPea is part eskimo like her daddy, PorkChop is a tropical baby just like his mama.

He sat on his blanket and looked around. Having newly discovered that he has toes, he made a pass at them... and caught a handful of snow. That about ended his love of being outdoors. Suddenly, his favorite place to be (other than on the boob) had become a cold, barren wasteland. And he cried. Of course I rushed over to him, snuggled him, and then plopped him down on his tummy to get a few pictures of commeration of his first snowfall. I think that the scars of pretty much all healed now.....

Nevertheless, my brave littles made it outside a grand total of 45 minutes before I called time for hot chocolate. If it hadn't been for my quick thinking, I think that SweetPea would still have me out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment